ENTER THE 10TH ANNUAL UGCY #UGCY2020!
Over the years we have been privileged to work with over 70 universities and seen thousands of students perform on the UGCY stage. We are about to enter our 10th year and inviting all choirs to once again enter one of the biggest UK inter-university events of the year!
Here is just a taste of the amazing time we had at UGCY 2019:
Missed out on previous years performances? Check them out on youtube!
We will be open for entries to the 10th annual UGCY from 14th October 2019!
Theme: “Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be.”
This year’s theme is inspired by Job 8:7 (NIV) where God promises us that our latter days cannot help but be greater than our former days!! In keeping with this year’s theme, we would love choirs to embody this in whichever way they see fit. This year we will have many twists so do look out for those too!
Closing date for Entries: November 24th 2019
Shortlisted Entries announced: 8th December 2019
Public Social Media Vote: 8th December – 27th December 2019
Finalists Announced: 31st December 2019
Date of UGCY 2020 Finals: March 28th 2020
UGCY 2020 Entry Process:
The UGCY entry process is easy so there is no excuse! All you have to do is submit a video of your choir singing, meeting the criteria outlined below:
- Choirs are to submit an audition video which must last no longer 5 mins. (Check out some of our favourite past auditions here). Choirs can choose to sing one or more songs. At the same time we ask each choir to record a SEPARATE one (1) min video of them singing a Christmas themed Song. Both videos must be submitted by 23:59 on November 24th 2019.
- Our panel of esteemed Judges will review the submitted AUDITION videos (not the christmas videos) in line with the UGCY judging criteria, to whittle down the entries to a shortlist of 10 entries (number of shortlisted choirs are subject to change at UGCY’s discretion).
- The shortlisted entries will be announced by 8th December and their Christmas videos will be put forward to public vote via the UGCY Instagram page and youtube page whereby the public vote will count for 60% of the overall score. The remaining 40% will come from the judges score from the previous round.
- The 10 choirs with the most combined LIKES and comments (Stating: “I vote for xxxx to be a UGCY finalist”) on their video will go through to the finals. IMPORTANT NOTE: Likes /comments must come from people who are followers /subscribers of UGCY’s instagram and youtube pages. Meaning all choirs must encourage their friends and followers to be a follower of UGCY’s instagram and youtube pages and like their video.
- The 10 finalists will be announced by 31st December 2019.
- Tickets will go on sale 1st Jan (Early bird tickets until end Jan)
- Finalists take to the stage at the UGCY 2020 finals in London on March 28th 2020! The requirement will be for each choir to sing for 7 mins. At least 1 minute of their set should be sung in a different language. They will be also scored on how well their performance meets the theme for the year.
Gospel Choirs are judged by a panel of esteemed, well positioned Gospel and Music experts on their use of the Gospel techniques broken down into the following criteria:
- UGCY theme
- Choreography/overall performance
- Musicality (Rhythm Melody)
- Effective use of dynamics to create a “gospel choir sound”
Before you submit your entry:
- UGCY is open only to choirs that meet all of the following requirements: a) all members must be least 18 years of age as of 31st December 2019; b) the choir must have meaningful relationship with a UK Higher Education Institution and c) at least 60% of the choir must be made up of current students (the remaining can be made up of staff and recent graduates of 2 years who are permitted to take part).
- Read the UGCY judging criteria and checked out past audition videos?
- Does your choir have at least 10 but no more than 60 members? As part of the entry process, you are required to submit the names and contact details of each choir member.
- Is your audition video of good quality and 5 minutes max? Is your Christmas video 1 min max?
- If selected as a finalist, note that you will be required to provide your own band/backing track at the finals.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that they are entering into the UGCY 2020 competition and are required to be available to attend the main event from 8am until 11pm on March 28th 2020 in London.
- Please note that, unless otherwise stated, your clothing/transportation/any accommodation or other costs incurred as part of participating in UGCY 2020 is the responsibility of your choir and/or university.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that their details will be added to our mailing list to be used for UGCY communication purposes.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that their details may be passed on to our sponsors for job/career related purposes or alternative opportunities. Please contact us if you object to this.
- Finalists will be required to create a 60 second video blog of themselves to be featured in the show.
TO ENTER PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW, PLEASE NOTE YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE THE NAMES AND CONTACT DETAILS OF EACH AND EVERY CHOIR MEMBER, A PICTURE OF YOUR CHOIR, A SHORT CHOIR BIO AND A LINK OR THE FILE TO YOUR AUDITION VIDEOS.
Good Luck and Gospel Love!