ENTER THE 10TH ANNUAL UGCY #UGCY2022!
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, we were unable to host UGCY in 2020 and 2021 but we are excited to announce that we are returning bigger and better!
Over the years we have been privileged to work with over 70 universities and seen thousands of students perform on the UGCY stage. We are about to enter (Well re-enter 😉 ) our 10th year doing the show and inviting all choirs to once again enter one of the biggest UK inter-university events of the year!
Here is just a taste of the amazing time we had at UGCY 2019:
ARVE Error: Mode: lazyload not available (ARVE Pro not active?), switching to normal mode
Missed out on previous years performances? Check them out on youtube!
We will be open for entries to the 10th annual UGCY from 14th October 2021!
Theme: GRACE RELOADED!
Closing date for Entries: November 24th 2021
Shortlisted Entries announced: Latest by 14th December 2021 (TBC)
Public Social Media Vote: 14th December – 27th December 2021
Finalists Announced: 31st December 2021
Date of UGCY 10th Year Show 2022 Finals: March 2022
UGCY 2022 Entry Process:
The UGCY entry process is easy so there is no excuse! All you have to do is submit a video of your choir singing, meeting the criteria outlined below:
- Choirs are to submit an audition video which must last no longer 5 mins. NOTE: It does not need to be in line with theme. (Check out some of our favourite past auditions here). Choirs can choose to sing one or more songs. At the same time we ask each choir to record a SEPARATE one (1) min video of them singing a Christmas themed Song. Both videos must be submitted by 23:59 on November 24th 2021.
- Our panel of esteemed Judges will review the submitted AUDITION videos (not the christmas videos) in line with the UGCY judging criteria (excl. theme), to whittle down the entries to a shortlist of 10 entries (number of shortlisted choirs are subject to change at UGCY’s discretion).
- The shortlisted entries will be announced by 8th December and their Christmas videos will be put forward to public vote via the UGCY Instagram page and youtube page whereby the public vote will count for 60% of the overall score. The remaining 40% will come from the judges score from the previous round.
- The 12-14 choirs with the most LIKES on their video will go through to the finals. IMPORTANT NOTE: Likes /comments must come from people who are followers /subscribers of UGCY’s instagram and youtube pages. Meaning all choirs must encourage their friends and followers to be a follower of UGCY’s instagram and youtube pages and like their video.
- The 10 finalists will be announced by 31st December 2021.
- Tickets will go on sale 1st Jan (Early bird tickets until end Jan)
- Finalists take to the stage at the UGCY 2022 finals in London in March 2022! The requirement will be for each choir to sing for 7 mins. This year choirs can feature a special guest who is not part of their choir to perform for up to 2 minutes with the choir during the finals. This is not mandatory but all choirs are invited to do so. This may be a former choir or university member or even a well known singer/ artist you may know! The featured artist will not be considered in the judging of the performance and all provisions for the special guest must be handled by the choir.
Gospel Choirs are judged by a panel of esteemed, well positioned Gospel and Music experts on their use of the Gospel techniques broken down into the following criteria:
- UGCY theme
- Choreography/overall performance
- Musicality (Rhythm Melody)
- Effective use of dynamics to create a “gospel choir sound”
Before you submit your entry:
- UGCY is open only to choirs that meet all of the following requirements: a) all members must be least 18 years of age as of 31st December 2021; b) the choir must have meaningful relationship with a UK Higher Education Institution and c) at least 60% of the choir must be made up of current students (the remaining can be made up of staff and recent graduates of 2 years who are permitted to take part).
- Read the UGCY judging criteria and checked out past audition videos?
- Does your choir have at least 10 but no more than 60 members? As part of the entry process, you are required to submit the names and contact details of each choir member.
- Is your audition video of good quality and 5 minutes max? Is your Christmas video 1 min max?
- If selected as a finalist, note that you will be required to provide your own band/backing track at the finals.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that they are entering into the UGCY 2022 competition and are required to be available to attend the main event from 8am until 11pm in March 2022 in London.
- Please note that, unless otherwise stated, your clothing/transportation/any accommodation or other costs incurred as part of participating in UGCY 2022 is the responsibility of your choir and/or university.
- IMPORTANT FOR GDPR RULES: By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that their details will be added to our mailing list to be used for UGCY communication purposes.
- IMPORTANT FOR GDPR RULES: By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that their details may be passed on to our sponsors for job/career related purposes or alternative opportunities. Please contact us if you object to this.
- Finalists will be required to create a 60 second video blog of themselves to be featured in the show.
IMPORTANT GDPR NOTICE and Requirements for Application form:
The form requests the following personal information from every choir member in an excel spreadsheet to be uploaded for purposes of 1)UGCY communication, 2) Demographic information to be captured directly from participants to support UGCY grant/funding applications, 3)Confirmation that each member agrees to participate and 4) Verification of participants applicability for the competition.
- First name
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- Academic year
- Age range – under 18, 18-21, 22-25, 26-29, 30+
- Ethnic group as per: https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/ethnic-group
TO ENTER PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW, PLEASE NOTE YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
A PICTURE OF YOUR CHOIR, A SHORT CHOIR BIO AND A LINK OR THE FILE TO YOUR AUDITION VIDEOS.
Follow the link here if typeform required for submission below does not load: https://hlw1.typeform.com/to/hSjOhGOd
Good Luck and Gospel Love!