UGCY Entry Process:

The UGCY entry process commences every year in October and is open for 6 weeks.  All you have to do is submit a video of your choir singing via our website, meeting the criteria outlined below:

  1. Choirs are to submit an audition video which must last no longer 5 mins. (Check out some of our favourite past auditions here). Choirs can choose to sing one or more songs. At the same time we ask each choir to record a SEPARATE  one (1) min video of them singing a Christmas themed Song. Both videos must be submitted by 23:59 on November 24th.
  2. Our panel of esteemed Judges will review the submitted AUDITION videos (not the christmas videos) in line with the UGCY judging criteria, to whittle down the entries to a shortlist of 10 entries (number of shortlisted choirs are subject to change at UGCY’s discretion).
  3. The shortlisted entries will be announced by 8th December and their Christmas videos will be put forward to public vote via the UGCY Instagram page and youtube page whereby the public vote will count for 60% of the overall score. The remaining 40% will come from the judges score from the previous round. 
  4. The 10 choirs with the most combined LIKES and comments (Stating: “I vote for xxxx to be a UGCY finalist”) on their video will go through to the finals. IMPORTANT NOTE: Likes /comments must come from people who are followers /subscribers of UGCY’s instagram and youtube pages. Meaning all choirs must encourage their friends and followers to be a follower of UGCY’s instagram and youtube pages and like their video.
  5. The 10 finalists will be announced by 31st December.
  6. Tickets will go on sale 1st Jan (Early bird tickets until end Jan)
  7. Finalists take to the stage at the UGCY finals in London in the spring. The requirement will be for each choir to sing for 7 mins. They will be also scored on how well their performance meets the theme for the year. 

Judging Criteria

Gospel Choirs are judged by a panel of esteemed, well positioned Gospel and Music experts on their use of the Gospel techniques broken down into the following criteria:

  • UGCY theme
  • Choreography/overall performance
  • Musicality (Rhythm Melody)
  • Effective use of dynamics to create a “gospel choir sound”
  • Arrangement
  • Harmony