ENTER UGCY 2019!
We will be open for entries to the 9th annual UGCY from 15th October 2018!
Theme: “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel”
This year’s theme is inspired by Mark 16:15 where Jesus instructs his disciples to spread his teachings to all the nations of the world, in keeping with this year’s theme, we would love choirs to use the gifts they have to share His message throughout the world! This means this year we are specifically looking out for various cultures represented and/or songs sung in different languages!
Closing date for Entries: November 24th 2018
Shortlisted Entries announced: 8th December 2018
Public Social Media Vote: 8th December – 27th December 2018
Finalists Announced: 31st December 2018
Date of UGCY 2019 Finals: April 6th 2019 (tbc)
UGCY 2019 Entry Process:
The UGCY entry process is easy so there is no excuse! All you have to do is submit a video of your choir singing, meeting the criteria outlined below:
- Choirs are to submit an audition video which must last no longer 5 mins. Choirs can choose to sing one or more songs. At the same time we ask each choir to record a SEPARATE one (1) min video of them singing a Christmas themed Song. Both videos must be submitted by 23:59 on November 24th 2018.
- Our panel of esteemed Judges will review the submitted AUDITION videos (not the christmas videos) in line with the UGCY judging criteria, to whittle down the entries to a shortlist of 10 entries (number of finalists subject to change at UGCY’s discretion).
- The shortlisted entries will be announced by 8th December and their Christmas videos will be put forward to public vote via the UGCY Instagram page and youtube page whereby the public vote will count for 50% of the overall score. The remaining 50% will come from the judges score from the previous round.
- The 8 choirs with the most combined LIKES and comments (Stating: “I vote for xxxx to be a UGCY finalist”) on their video will go through to the finals. Note: Likes /comments must come from people who are followers /subscribers of UGCY’s pages. Meaning all choirs must encourage their friends and followers to be a follower of UGCY’s pages and like their video.
- The 8 finalists will be announced by 31st December 2018.
- Tickets will go on sale 1st Jan (Early bird tickets until end Jan)
- Finalists take to the stage at the UGCY 2019 finals in London in Spring 2019 (April 6th tbc)! The requirement will be for each choir to sing for 7 mins. At least 1 minute of their set should be sung in a different language. They will be also scored on how well their performance meets the theme for the year.
Gospel Choirs are judged by a panel of esteemed, well positioned Gospel and Music experts on their use of the Gospel techniques broken down into the following criteria:
- UGCY theme (judged at finals only)
- Choreography/overall performance
- Musicality (Rhythm Melody)
- Effective use of dynamics to create a “gospel choir sound”
Before you submit your entry:
- UGCY is open only to choirs that meet all of the following requirements: a) all members must be least 18 years of age as of 31st December 2018; b) the choir must have meaningful relationship with a UK Higher Education Institution and c) at least 60% of the choir must be made up of current students (the remaining can be made up of staff and recent graduates of 2 years who are permitted to take part).
- Read the UGCY judging criteria
- Does your choir have at least 10 but no more than 60 members?
- Is your video of good quality and 5 minutes max?
- If selected as a finalist, note that you will be required to provide your own band/backing track at the finals.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that they are entering into the UGCY 2019 competition and are required to be available to attend the main event from 8am until 11pm on April 6th 2019 in London.
- Please note that, unless otherwise stated, your clothing/transportation/any accommodation or other costs incurred as part of participating in UGCY 2019 is the responsibility of your choir and/or university.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that their details will be added to our mailing list to be used for UGCY communication purposes.
- By entering UGCY, all choir members accept that their details may be passed on to our sponsors for job/career related purposes or alternative opportunities. Please contact us if you object to this.
- Finalists will be required to create a 60 second video blog of themselves to be featured in the show.
Applications will be open on this page from October 15th 2018
Good Luck and Gospel Love!